Will my PASS accredited proof-of-age card be accepted everywhere?

Increasingly tough enforcement of legislation to prevent selling to under-18s means that there is very strong pressure on operators to refuse entry if they have any grounds to believe that a person is under 18, regardless of the form of ID they present.

Young people should be aware that there is no automatic right of entry to licensed premises nor is there an automatic right to service of alcohol. Entry is always at the discretion of the licensee for whatever reason he or she decides and the licensee is under no obligation to explain the reason.

Whilst the vast majority of retailers and pub companies support the PASS scheme and include reference to it in their company policies and procedures, front line staff are encouraged to refuse admission and/or service if they are in any doubt whatsoever about a person’s age.

What is the best PASS card for me?

Young people wishing to apply for a PASS card have the option of applying for a proof-of-age card from any card supplier. This decision is a personal choice, but in Scotland the most widely held card is the Young Scot National Entitlement card which is backed by the Scottish Government and all of Scotland’s local councils. Cards issued by local authorities may have benefits locally and discounted access to local facilities.  The important factor though is to ensure the card scheme chosen is PASS accredited and that the card carries the unique PASS hologram.

What if I don’t want to get a proof-of-card?

Under the terms of the Licensing (Scotland) Act 2005 there are various forms of identification which licensees or their staff can accept as proving your age.  These are:

(i) A passport
(ii) A European Union photocard driving licence
(iii) A Ministry of Defence Form 90 (Defence Identity Card)
(iv) A photographic identity card bearing the national Proof of Age Standards Scheme (PASS) hologram
(v) A national identity card issued by a European Union member state (other than the United Kingdom), Norway, Iceland, Liechtenstein or Switzerland, or
(vi) A Biometric Immigration Document.

So, if you haven’t got a proof of age card please carry one of these other forms of identification.  However, given the significant difficulties in replacing either of these types of document should they become lost or mislaid on a night out we would recommend that you consider obtaining a proof of age card which can be replaced far more easily if it has to be.


Proof of age cards
All cards that are PASS accredited carry the distinctive PASS logo in a hologram.

find out more

OVER 18?

Proving your age
There are various forms of identification which licensees and their staff can accept as proving your age.

find out more